NIMBLE SPORTSTER TOUR-READY WITH BAGS, WINDSHIELD AND ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION
MILWAUKEE, WI. (March 6, 2014) – The new Harley-Davidson® SuperLow® 1200T motorcycle opens the door to freedom. A Sportster® model equipped with essential touring features, the SuperLow 1200T model is created specifically to get more riders on the long-haul route to adventure aboard a with the signature style, comfort and prestige of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle. The SuperLow 1200T is available now as a mid-year 2014 model introduction.
In creating the SuperLow 1200T, Harley-Davidson has for the first time combined its nimble SuperLow chassis with the performance of an Evolution® 1200 V-Twin engine. A new suspension and tire package is ready to go the distance with luggage and a passenger on board. Its ergonomics are calibrated to offer riders from 5’ 1” to 5’ 7” in height an easy reach to the ground, handlebar and foot controls. The SuperLow 1200T weighs 118 pounds less than the lightest Harley-Davidson Big Twin touring motorcycle.
“The SuperLow 1200T is a new motorcycle driven by the voice of our customers, and by customer action,” said Jennifer Gersch, Harley-Davidson Product Planning Manager. “Many riders seeking an entry point to the touring experience have been putting together a bike like this on their own. We’ve added ergonomic adjustments and a selection of touring accessories to a motorcycle platform that is already popular with our customers. They can tour on a great-looking motorcycle that offers performance and inspires confidence, while experiencing those life-defining moments that can only be encountered on the open road.”
Touring features of the SuperLow 1200T include locking saddlebags and a detachable windshield. The saddlebag mounting hardware incorporates quick-detachable docking points to make it possible to easily add an accessory rack or backrest. The rear shock absorbers offer easy pre-load adjustment to accommodate the weight of luggage and a passenger on the two-up Reduced Reach® touring seat. Mini footboards provide added comfort for the rider and passenger, and the rider foot position is three inches forward from the SuperLow® 883 model to make it easier to place feet flat on the ground and to reach the side stand.
The SuperLow 1200T owner rides on a motorcycle that’s pure, premium Harley-Davidson with black and silver split five-spoke cast aluminum wheels, a special cloisonné tank medallion and plenty of brilliant chrome. Both solid and two-tone paint schemes are available.
The SuperLow 1200T features the same easy-handling chassis dynamics originally developed for the SuperLow 883. Fork angle, wheel sizes and radial tires were engineered as a package to reduce steering effort and provide responsive handling. Available as factory-installed options, the Anti-lock Braking System and H-D® Smart Security System with a proximity-based security fob and keyless ignition offer additional confidence-inspiring control.
Premium performance brakes feature a 300mm front rotor, a rigid front brake caliper with dual 34mm pistons, and a high-efficiency aluminum front master cylinder. Rear brake rotor diameter is 260mm with dual 38mm pistons. Front and rear brakes are fitted with Original Equipment braided stainless steel brake lines that resist abrasion and enhance brake feel.
An electrical system update to all 2014 Sportster® models incorporates an analog speedometer with digital tachometer, restyled ergonomic hand controls, an updated wire harness and voltage regulator. The new hand controls include a left-hand trip switch to toggle through screen displays on the speedometer, including an odometer, tripmeter, gear indicator and RPM display. Additionally, new oil tank and side cover designs make it easier to access and service the battery and diagnostic terminal.
Key SuperLow 1200T Features
- An air-cooled Evolution® 1200cc V-Twin engine with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI), rated at 71 ft. lbs. peak torque at 3500 rpm, has a broad powerband for easy get-away from a stop and smooth power out of corners. The powertrain is finished in black powder coat with chrome-plated covers.
- Reduced Reach® two-up touring seat moves the rider forward and features a narrow nose for an easy reach to the ground. Seat height is 26.1 inches.
- Rear suspension features a right-side twin tube and a left-side dial adjustable emulsion shock with an easy-to-reach dial that enables a broad range of pre-load adjustment without removing the saddlebags or using tools.
- Front suspension is tuned to accommodate touring and passenger payloads while providing a comfortable ride.
- Detachable 14-inch clear polycarbonate windshield can be adjusted on the forks to match rider height.
- Optimized rider foot location allows easy reach to the ground and to the side stand.
- Mini footboards provide support to the rider for comfort on long rides.
- Black and silver, split five-spoke aluminum wheels with Michelin® Scorcher™ 11T touring tires that are engineered for a touring payload.
- Front turn signals are located on the lower triple tree to increase handlebar adjustment range.
- Lockable saddlebags are covered in durable black vinyl with chrome badges.
- Factory-installed rear docking hardware facilitates installation of an optional luggage rack and sissy bar with backrest.
- Premium glass-filled chrome cloisonné tank badge.
- Chrome-plated headlamp visor, turn signal housings and instrument housing.
- Color choices include: Vivid Black, Candy Orange, and two-tone Birch White/Midnight Pearl.